Ben Cauchi: The Sophist’s Mirror
8 November 2012–1 February 2013
Ben Cauchi’s haunting photographs seem to arrive from another time and place, yet are thoroughly of the present. Cauchi’s subtractive practice dwells on absence, lulls, the uncertain and the fleeting elements of life. His shadowy images explore the psychological dimensions of viewing and the nature of photography itself by continually moving within the grey areas between truth and untruth, presence and absence, seeing and believing.
City Gallery Wellington invites you to produce an original and imaginative poem inspired by: Ben Cauchi: The Sophist’s Mirror.
- Poems must be no longer than 50 lines.
- The competition runs from 8 November 2012 – 1 February 2013.
- Entries will be limited to two per entrant.
- Entry is free and open until 5pm, 1 February 2013.
- Poems must be the entrant's own work and not have been published, self published, published on a website or broadcast.
- Entries cannot be returned.
- Alterations cannot be made once entries have been submitted.
- Entries must not have the writer's name or identifying marks on them.
- The entry form must be filled out in full and submitted with the poem at the time of sending it.
- No correspondence can be entered into as the judge's decision is final.
- Acceptance of the rules is implied by entry.
- 10 finalists will be selected and their works published anonymously on the City Gallery Wellington website (www.citygallery.org.nz). These finalists will be eligible for the People’s Choice Award which will be announced along with the winning entry on Friday 15 February 2013. Voting for the People’s Choice Award will be open from February 8-14 2013.
- The winning entrants will win a copy of These Evening Hours, a new VUP publication on the photography of Ben Cauchi, edited by Aaron Lister, and an annual City Gallery Friends membership worth $45.
The competition will be judged by current Randell Cottage writer-in-residence Vivienne Plumb, with the winner announced on City Gallery Wellington’s website www.citygallery.org.nz and social media networks on Friday 15 February 2013.
Please download the entry form and send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Image credit: Ben Cauchi, Self Portrait with Lamp, 2008, tin type 360x280mm, private collection, Wellington.
20 October 2012–17 February 2013